Inferior Good: Diminishing Marginal Stupidity in Action

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Are you in rigor mortis, or are you just happy to see me?

Reuters reports that Chinese police are cracking down on funeral striptease acts:

Striptease used to be a common practice at funerals in Donghai's rural areas to allure viewers. Local villagers believe that the more people who attend the funeral, the more the dead person is honored.

Personally, I like strippers. But the villager’s conception of honor seems off to me. I don’t believe one can buy honor, though perhaps one can buy the appearance of honor. [Ed. That's just it Whit, appearances are very important to these folks.]

That being said, I like funerals that have a bit of levity. I’d like my own funeral to be a big party. A funeral should of course help provide closure for those left behind (after all, funerals are really about the living, not the deceased), but a funeral can also be a chance for family and friends to unite under happy memories. It seems there are professional funeral planners out there ready to help guys like me.

UPDATE: Tyler Cowen and Scott Adams chime in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google
Web www.inferiorgood.blogspot.com